Sunday, February 8, 2015

Welcome to Life

I'm one of those people that has a schedule. I'm a planner. What more can I say? Keeping my life organized is part of my sanity. So what's on tap for Sundays? Skype calls with my parents, of course. 

My parents moved to Colorado two years ago so our Sunday chats are a necessary part of life to catch up on the goings-on in the rest of the tribe, but today was extra special. My sister got to Skype with us, too!! She goes to college in Denver, and my parents live a few hours away from her so it's pretty hard to catch us all at the same time, especially with a two hour time difference between them and me complicating things. 

But back to the story, the main discussion for today was, no surprise, scheduling. Trying to figure out life and box it all into little color coded time slots: blue for family time, green for friends, pink for work events, and purple for errands. Spring Break is coming up next month so I have a whole week swimming in blue in honor of my sister's mini visit. However, this is Life we're talking about. Let's be real, how often does it decide to throw us a curve ball to test our strengths, punish our weaknesses, and build our character?

The curve ball in this episode of Life just so happens to be a little baby (I'll call this child Averie for simplicity's sake). Averie should be making an appearance sometime around early October, and if that's not a curve ball, I don't know what is. But that's just it, right? That's the challenge for us who cling to our calendars and notebooks like the last piece of cookie cake from yesterday's birthday party. Life isn't something you can have all planned out. Sure, we all know the template by heart. Graduate high school, go to college, start your career, get married, have babies. But it isn't always in that order, and I would go so far as to say it shouldn't be. We aren't all cookie cutter people who can survive in a cookie cutter life. And for the planners out there like me, that's what makes it all worthwhile. We get to reimagine our lives every time the big changes come and watch as the future grows into something bigger and brighter than we could have decided for ourselves.

So now I want to know. What are some big challenges or decisions you have coming up in your future? Are any of you planners like me? How do you cope when life doesn't go your way? Until next time :) And just in case no one has told you yet, welcome to life.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a big planner. My hubby tells me all the time to chill out and just let things happen, but I CAN NOT operate like that most days lol. I do find that, when I relax, like on vacation or those days when things are just outside of my control, it helps my sanity level for sure. I feel like I'm constantly re-learning that lesson, accepting that sometimes things are beyond your control and you have to go with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third time's the charm with this comment lol. As a self-proclaimed control freak, I am right there with you having to learn how to go with the flow. The military lifestyle has helped, but it drives me crazy just as often lol.

      Delete