Sunday, May 17, 2015

4 Steps to Take to Be the Main Character in Your Story

If we're completely honest, life is fleeting. Life is precious. Life is temporary. And worst of all, life is not guaranteed. Because of that, it is immensely important to live the life you want to live. I have 4 points that I follow so that I can be the hero of my own book of life.

  1. Make life what you want it to be.
This is seriously the most important part. I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "be the change you want to see in the world," and that's great for the more ambitious of us. But for people like me who just want to chase happiness and fulfillment, that can be intimidating. Know this, you are the one who has to live with the consequences of your choices. Might as well make them what YOU want. I went to college because I was told to. College is where I learned to think for myself, and college is where I learned that I hated the principle of college (that's a post for another time). My parents weren't going to college for me. My friends weren't either. It was me. And what I truly, truly want from this life has nothing to do with higher education.
  1. Understand that you can't and shouldn't please everyone.
We all know people pleasers in our lives. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make others happy. The problem comes when you become so consumed with the well-being of others that you stop taking care of yourself and lose sight of your own goals and dreams. It’s hard to take care of others if you aren’t taking care of yourself. There is NOTHING wrong with making time to do something selfish.
  1. You are the caretaker of your own happiness.
Along the same vein as point 2, each and every one of us truly is responsible for our own happiness. Simply choose happiness. Yes, it is easier said than done, but start practicing. It gets easier the more you do it. If someone or something is poisoning you and stealing your happiness, sometimes you have to do what’s best for you and cut out that negative energy.
  1. Other people's opinions of you are not your business.
This one can be the hardest to grasp, but trust me on this one. What is said about you behind your back doesn’t matter. If you’re living with integrity, your character will shine through. If you take nothing else from this post, take this: not your circus, not your monkeys. If someone wants to create drama about you, that DOES NOT mean you are required to get sucked into it.

Now let’s put it all together. Essentially, to be the star of your own show you need confidence. Living the life you want to be living the way you want it to be lived with the people who build you up will fill you up with joy, and you will be able to exude that positive energy. Your talents are gifts. Follow your passions. Have a good self-care routine. Help out where you can. “A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.” And no matter what, never EVER forget that you are an important and worthwhile person simply because you exist. I’m glad you’re still here.

What helps you feel powerful in your own world? How do you stay present in every moment and remember what matters? 

No comments:

Post a Comment